St. Neot's Patient Group
Update December 2018: Thank you for your help with the 2018 survey that has helped provide valuable detailed feedback on all areas of our service and recent significant changes and challenges such as change of telephone system, increase in list size and introduction of our text messaging service. The action plan, that has been presented to the GP Partners, as a result of the survey is detailed below (alongside progress from historical action plans). It is heartening to hear that satisfaction with clinical care and some recent innovations such as text messaging has remained high. However we must not be complacent and are also mindful that there are areas we can and must improve on. Reception and telephone system satisfaction have been noted as particular areas for attention which has has also mirrored local HealthWatch feedback. We are already working towards preparing next year's survey to robustly evaluate effectiveness of the Action Plan below and and some areas have been implemented already.
2018 Plan- (set 30/4/18, achieve by 30/4/19)
- Stabilise staffing numbers in reception and provide quality customer service training at next training afternoon to address drop in satisfaction rates (training achieved and stabilisation achieved with help of increased apprenticeship usage, outcome needs to be followed up in next survey)
- Ensure call centre availability is maximised and if satisfaction with phone continues to be an issue, provide training update and liase with other surgeries as to how best manage overflow (internal refresher training re maximising call centre availability already taken place)
- Continue to consider lunchtime opening within boundaries of available staffing/investment
- Ensure reception satisfaction is robustly re-surveyed before end of 2019 (plan in place to start designing new survey from Jan 2019)
St. Neots Patient Survey 2018 Free Text Comments
2016 Plan (set 31/3/16- achieve by 31/3/17)
- Overhaul telephone menu system to improve telephone access, while advertising online access more effectively at same time (new telephone system with customised menus in place
- Continue to work on improving privacy at Reception with Reception desk screening and (background music screening in place- background music felt too intrusive ultimately)
- Improve queue management at Reception (more staff to be able to help out at desk- though needs to be more promoted)
- Work with our main pharmacy management to improve practice pharmacy interface (further development of our prescribing clerks, better relations with pharmacy, separate workflow group and working area to reduce distractions)
1. Introduce privacy line to improve patient experience in new build (achieved, further work for 2016 plan in terms of screen behind Reception)
2. Introduce patient call system with effective promotion and expansion of Patient Group (call screen in place)
3. Reduce length of telephone message (further data collected from 2016 survey- should be achieved by 2017)
4. Consider lunchtime opening (on hold for now until staffing/investment permits)
- Encourage and advertise use of EPS to increase reception availability (particularly on phone/desks) and reduce paper load (achieved, we are above average compared to other practices for EPS use- 50% +, consistent with demand)
- Concentrate on good access in construction of new build particularly regarding lift and also child play features (lift organised)
- Review length of telephone message that may impact on being able to deal with telephone calls (brought forward to 2015 plan)
- Continue training to encourage further improvements in staff professionalism, as have good mandate in patient survey
- Encourage promotion of booking in screen further with a Patient Group assistance for using the screen (successful, improved usage in 2015 survey compared to 2014, and events well received)
- Increase appointments from blood taking point of view by asking the patient to book a recall blood appointment themselves following an initial DNA rather than automatically send a letter (in place and has improved availability)
- Discuss use of uniform with new build with staff to increase professionalism (Achieved and positive feedback in 2014 survey)
- Concentrate on good access in construction of new build particularly regarding lift (On hold till building starts)
- Improve clarity of online appointment booking (Slightly increased uptake)
- On account of positive patient feedback, evaluate seriously use of system based on increasing use of telephone triage (St. Levans style advanced accesss) to reduce waiting times and increase appointment availability (On hold until new build as will never have enough phone lines till then)
We are looking to develop as a 'virtual' Patient Representative Group alongside the core members whereby all you have to agree to is to be contacted via e-mail no more than five times a year to give us your views. You will also be kept abreast of the minutes of the Patient Group meetings at the same time.
If you are interested, sign up online using our new easy to use form. Also click on the above tab 'How to Join the Group' to find out more.
Survey Results Now Online- Thank you for all your participation!
Appendix A- Demographic Details
Appendix B- Sample Flyer
Appendix C- Patient Survey
Appendix D- Survey Results
Appendix E- Free text comments
Summary of 2012 and 2013 Action Plan as a result of survey
- Production of new literature detailing opening hours and the re-assessment of Patient Information Boards with a member of the PPG taking a lead role in ensuring that the information remains up to date and relevant (Currently still in progress, will be easier to fully incorporate in new build).
- A clear statement regarding the electronic booking system should be displayed (Achieved, booking in screen usage has improved and reflected in 2013 survey result). in all of the waiting rooms and Receptionists need to be clearer both on the telephone and in person. The PPG will also look into whether a queuing system can be re-incorporated into the telephone system (Achieved through telephone engineer).
- It was agreed to continue to promote and develop both online prescriptions and appointments (Still room for improvement as only 10% online usage)
- PPG to report back to the Partners to help inform and guide with regard to the layout within the new premises. This may include a further consultation period with plans displayed within the waiting room inviting further comments and suggestions (Achieved and was successful in increasing practice support for Patient Group and funding recent Open Day. A repeat meeting will be held this year).
1. Discuss use of uniform with new build with staff to increase professionalism
2. Concentrate on good access in construction of new build particularly regarding lift
3. Improve clarity of online appointment booking
4. On account of positive patient feedback, evaluate seriously use of system based on increasing use of telephone triage (St. Levans style advanced access) to reduce waiting times and increase appointment availability.
Other News and Minutes
4-3-13 St. Neot's Patient Survey Now Online- Please let us know what you think by 8th March 2013. Patient Group Members will be present throughout the week in surgery to assist.
Update 11-2-13- Patient Group Recruitment Day a success for the development of a new virtual group with over 50 members signed up. Introductory e-mails due to be sent out shortly.
Update 28-3-12- Patient Survey now Complete!
The results are now available below to view online
Additional Appendices to Report:
- Demographic Details
- Sample Flyer
- Patient Survey
- Survey Results
Overall this has been a very positive experience with a lot of useful information obtained to help guide the development of the surgery in the future.
The main action points are summarised below:
- Production of new literature detailing opening hours and the re-assessment of Patient Information Boards with a member of the PPG taking a lead role in ensuring that the information remains up to date and relevant.
- A clear statement regarding the electronic booking system should be displayed in all of the waiting rooms and Receptionists need to be clearer both on the telephone and in person. The PPG will also look into whether a queuing system can be re-incorporated into the telephone system.
- It was agreed to continue to promote and develop both online prescriptions and appointments.
- PPG to report back to the Partners to help inform and guide with regard to the layout within the new premises. This may include a further consultation period with plans displayed within the waiting room inviting further comments and suggestions.
Update 2-3-12 A big thank you to everybody for making our Patient Survey a success. The results are currently being collated and will be available soon!
Update 13-2-12 A further 2 main meetings plus 1 subgroup have taken place with the aim of developing the St. Neot's Patient Survey 2012 which is now ready to roll! This will be the most comprehensive and relevant patient survey that has ever been carried out at St. Neot's Surgery and will help the practice be able to be right up to speed with the views of its patient population with the transition to the new build looming ahead. Members of the Patient Group will be on hand in the next few weeks to aid completion right up until the deadline of the 2nd March 2012.
Minutes of Patient Group Meeting- 29-11-11
Update 19-11-11 The second meeting, held on Wednesday 2nd November, ran smoothly with several new members arriving and contributing well. The transition to being as self-governing as possible went well, with three members successfully elected to positions of chair, deputy chair and secretary. The agenda will focus around develop a robust, effective and relevant patient survey to help St. Neot's Surgery face the challenges and make the most of the opportunity of moving into new premises in approximately 18 months time.
Minutes of Patient Group Meeting- 2-11-11
The inaugural meeting of the St. Neot's Patient Group, held on Wed 28th October at St. Neot's, was well attended, appearing both informal and purposeful at the same time! Several constructive suggestions were put forward and rapidly agreed on. You can download the minutes of this meeting below
Minutes of Patient Group Meeting- 28-10-11